Peter Allen and Rachel Burden asked their listeners to the Radio 5 live ‘Drive’ programme to send in the worst holiday beginnings that they had experienced. This followed the horrific example of when a plane was flying with holiday makers to Egypt when it had to put down in Brindisi, Southern Italy as the pilot had found a note declaring that there was a bomb on board. This he passed this information on to the passengers. An horrific start to their vacation.
These five other snippets were sent into the programme:
1. ‘I arrived in Cuba 2 hours before a hurricane.’
2. I spent 3 hours in a traffic jam on the M6 between junctions 15 and 16.’
3. ‘My girl friend of 3 years told me our relationship was over as we got off the plane in Barbados.’
4. ‘We were travelling to Toronto, Canada while all our luggage was sent to Toronto, Italy.’
5. ‘I set off from home to Gatwick on Wednesday morning after staying in one of those great Acapulco hotels and because of the appalling weather [snow, ice and blizzards] we didn’t fly to Belfast until Saturday afternoon. I returned home on Sunday. – some short break.’ [A true story that happened to Will's daughter Hannah]